Grant announcement: Targeted project support for international distribution and sales
Targeted project support for international distribution may be granted to a production company or to a corporation registered in Finland. Support may be granted for the distribution of Finnish films outside of Finland by a professional international distribution company. The production company will coordinate the payment of the support to the international distribution company.
Application time ends on 6.10.2021 23:59
The processing time is approximately 8 weeks. We are open for applications starting from August 9, 2021.
The aim of this project support is to advance the distribution of Finnish films to cinemas around the world.
The worldwide pandemic has complicated the international sales of films and considerably slowed the theatrical release of films everywhere in the world. With the help of this targeted project support, we hope that sales companies can make wider distribution deals and that international distributors can commit to Finnish content and invest in local marketing. This way the support will benefit first and foremost the Finnish producers.
We are open for applications starting from August 9, 2021. The application period ends on October 6, 2021 at 23:59.
Aim of the support
The aim is to advance the international theatrical distribution of Finnish films and to provide them with more commercial opportunities abroad. The intention is to support more effective international distribution campaigns for reaching audiences.
Targeted project support for international distribution may be granted to a production company that has the professional and financial means to market and distribute films or to a corporation registered in Finland that holds the film’s international commercial rights. A Finnish company should be the main producer of the film. Support may be granted for the distribution of Finnish films outside of Finland by a professional international distribution company.
The production company will coordinate the payment of the support to the international distribution company for the purposes of the distribution. The support application should be submitted in collaboration with the film’s international distribution company and possible sales company because the international distribution and marketing plan as well as the international budget required as application appendices should be provided by the local distributor.
Support for international promotion may be primarily granted for films that have received production support from the Foundation. The support covers completed and soon to be completed feature films, short or serialised drama, documentary, animation or children’s films and combinations thereof. The supported films must meet the criteria of a cultural product outlined in the Special Conditions section of this announcement.
Support may be granted for up to three years after the domestic premiere. Support may be applied for only after a distribution agreement has been signed and no later than three months after the local premiere.
For what purpose and how much?
The aim is to support the theatrical distribution of Finnish films in one or more international markets outside of Finland.
Targeted project support for international distribution is available for cinema distribution in one or more territories, for planning and executing the marketing and distribution. The support may be used for screening copies, marketing materials, local marketing campaigns or dubbing. The support is intended to provide an additional investment in the international distribution of a film. The support application should outline what measures will be made possible by the support in addition to the regular distribution plan.
The support maximum for one film per one country or territory is 7 000 euros. Support may be granted for several territories with one application. The total support for one film is a maximum of 25 000 euros.
The applicant, i.e. the Finnish production company may add a maximum of 300 euros for their own banking, accounting or administrative costs on top of the applied for sum. If the support application is for more than 20 000 euros, banking and accounting costs may be added for up to 800 euros.
The Finnish Film Foundation’s targeted project support for international distribution and sales may not exceed the investment of the international distributor.
The distributor’s minimum guarantee must be paid in full before applying for the support. The support may not be included in the contract between the producer and the sales company (i.e. as a part of the minimum guarantee).
How are the applications evaluated?
Project support for international promotion is discretionary. Granting the support is based on the overall evaluation and comparison of the applications.
The decision-making process will also look at e.g., the following criteria:
A realistic and innovative local distribution plan, a clear idea for the intended use of the support and professional partnerships.
In addition, the applicant’s artistic, professional, and financial capabilities for completing the project are taken into consideration as well as the available funds.
A total of 100 000 euros is available for allocation in this targeted project support category.
How to apply?
Applications are submitted via the application system. Applicants fill in an online application form in the application system and upload the necessary appendices into the system.
The application appendices should be prepared in collaboration with the international distribution or sales company.
The required application appendices are:
- Application form drafted according to the Finnish Film Foundation’s template
- Distribution and marketing plan from the international distributor
- A distribution and marketing budget drafted according to the Finnish Film Foundation’s template
- International distribution company’s Certificate of Registration
- List of films released by the distributor in the past two years stating the release platform and total box office and admission figures
- Copy of the contract between the producer and the sales agent
- Copy of the long form distribution agreement between sales agent and distributor
- Proof of minimum guarantee payment (when applicable)
The required applicant’s appendices are:
- a verified and audited financial statement (if the Limited-liability Companies Act, the Audit Act or the articles of association necessitate an auditor) covering the latest financial period.
- a valid extract from the Trade Register no older than six months
- a certificate of paid taxes no older than three months
- a certificate of paid pension insurance premiums no older than three months
- a current shareholders’ register (the Limited-liability Companies Act, chapter 3) The shareholders’ register is submitted only once and updated if changes in ownership occur.
Support may also be granted to the distribution of a film or cultural product that:
- forms an artistic ensemble
- has content that is based on cultural values originating in cultural identity and
- includes a significant contribution by creators and artists, where the share of wages and salaries of the overall production costs is significant.
The project’s costs are approved without VAT. If the grant recipient does not have the right to VAT deductions, the costs may be approved with VAT.
The Foundation may request further information if it deems it necessary for the decision-making process.
A prerequisite for granting the support is that the recipient has complied with possible earlier support agreements and met their conditions.
The recipient must provide a written report and a financial report detailing the use of the support.
The Foundation oversees the use of the support and it has the right to audit the recipient’s finances and operations.
The actualised overall funding of the project must not exceed the project’s actualised costs.
Support cannot be granted if the application is insufficient, and the required information is not uploaded into the online application system despite requests to do so.
Granted support is paid to the applicant’s Finnish bank account listed in the application in two instalments as follows:
- 80% immediately after the decision
- 20% after the final report has been approved by the Foundation.
The recipient must include a mention of the Film Foundation’s support in possible publications, by using the Film Foundation’s logo or stating: “This work was supported by the Finnish Film Foundation.”
The support must be used, and a report submitted no more than a year after the support decision was made.
The second support instalment (20%) is paid when the final report has been approved by the Foundation. The final report must include:
- An itemised report on actualised costs and information about actualised funding of the release and marketing of the film
- Written analysis of the release and marketing of the film
- Substantial statistics (e.g. admissions, VOD viewings, festival screenings, information on sub licensing deals, press clippings, et cetera)
If the Film Foundation’s support granted to the project is:
- Less than €20,000, the project audit report must be verified and signed by an accountant
- At least €20,000, the project audit report must be verified and signed by an authorised accountant
The Finnish Film Foundation’s Board decides on the project support based on the CEO’s presentation.
Applicants receive a written notification.
The processing time is approximately 8 weeks.
The decision is based on the act of government funding for the advancement of cinema (56/2018), the Act on Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001) and the Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003).
Advisor / International Promotion and Cultural Export of Feature Films
• festival distribution strategy for feature films
• travel support and material support for international promotion: feature films
+ 358 9 6220 3032
Advisor / International Promotion and Cultural Export of Documentary Films
• festival distribution strategy for documentary films
• travel support and material support for international promotion: documentary films